Preparing for your IUI cycle
IUI support with acupuncture can increase your success of a healthy pregnancy. We recommend that treatments begin 3 months prior to the procedure. If this is not possible begin treatments as soon as you can. Fertility medications work very well to increase the number of follicles, but do not always address the quality of the eggs that are released. By optimizing the environment in which the eggs grow and mature acupuncture and Chinese medicine works to improve follicle count and quality. This will lead to higher conception and successful pregnancy rates. IUI support with acupuncture works to:
- Enhance egg and follicle health.
- Regulate the hypothalamus-pituitary-ovarian-axis.
- Increase the blood flow to the uterus and ovaries which can improve implantation rates.
- Decreasing the side effects of fertility medications.
- Regulate the sympathetic nervous system and decrease stress levels which can plan a large role in successful pregnancy outcomes.
- Supports implantation by preventing uterine contractions.
IUI support with acupuncture works great when paired with one of our fertility diet programs.
An IUI can be performed during an natural cycle, or in conjunction with fertility medications. The aim of medications is to induce ovulation or simulate an increase in the production of ovulating follicles. During a normal menstrual cycle only one follicle releases and egg. By releasing more than one mature egg there can be a greater chance of fertilization and conception.
During an IUI an ultrasound is often performed around day 12 of the menstrual cycle (which varies depending on you particular response) and is at time combined with human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) to simulate ovulation and the release of eggs within 24-36 hours.
Fertility clinics often recommend IUI’s in cases of:
- mild fertility problems
- unexplained fertility
- cervical factor infertility
- male factor infertility (such as count, motility, or morphology)
- sexual dysfunction
- donor sperm
Good canditates for IUI are often:
- women below the age of 39
- women with an normal ovarian reserve for age
- women with hostile or thick cervical mucus
- women without blocked fallopian tubes
- male factor infertility (motility, morphology, or count)
- men with sexual or erectile dysfunction
- you are open to the possibility of twins
IUI success rates are generally between 10-20% per cycle, and up to 30% depending on your specific case. It is important to go over the benefits and risks of IUI with you fertility doctors to determine if this is the best treatment for you.
Testimonial- I am forty two. I’ve always wanted to have children but it was never the right time for me. My FSH was high and AMH low according to the tests done by the fertility specialist. I began Clomid injections which produced side effects. After three failed IUI’s I was not pregnant. I felt the clock ticking and the doctors were talking about donor eggs. The next month I began acupuncture. My periods became less crampy, my cervical mucus improved and the lining of my endometrium
more than doubled. After two months I became pregnant and was elated. Anna