Seattle Fertility Acupuncture: Prenatal Massage
Prenatal massage is safe, drug free and effective for many conditions. Our therapists are experienced and highly trained, and certified in prenatal massage. Therapeutic massage in a professional environment can relieve many of the common symptoms experienced during pregnancy.
Pregnancy is a joyful time but often causes discomfort. We offer comfortable side lying positioning for those who can no longer lay on their back. For those who prefer it, our treatment tables adjust to a semi reclined position. Cushions are positioned to ease hip and low back discomfort. We utilize various techniques including Swedish, trigger point release, aromatherapy and focused treatment work to help you relax and ease your symptoms.
Prenatal massage can treat:
- Headaches, including tension headaches and migraine headaches
- Low back pain
- Sciatic pain
- Nerve pain
- Neck pain and tension
- Shoulder pain and tension
- Round ligament pain
- Sacral pain
- Carpal tunnel
- Wrist pain
- Edema or swelling of the hands and feet
- Joint pain, including feet, knees and hips leg cramps
- Labor preparation
How prenatal massage works:
- Relaxes tight muscles and muscle spasms
- Reduces edema
- Relieves stress
- Encourages blood flow
- Brings oxygen rich blood to the area
- Encourages the flow of the lymph
- Promotes the release of Serotonin the body’s “feel good hormone”
Benefits of prenatal massage
- Increases circulation of lymph and blood
- Relieves sore muscles
- Eases stress on weight bearing joints
- Helps foster relation skills that are useful in labor
- Prepares the body for labor by loosening the pelvis
- Relieves stress and tension
Emotional benefits of prenatal massage
Pregnancy is a time of transition, and vulnerability. This can cause a rollercoaster of emotions. Fear, insecurity and anxiety are common. Nurturing touch and centering profoundly ease these feelings. It becomes a source of comfort and strength.
Prenatal massage benefits for baby
We know that massage during pregnancy has a myriad of physical and emotional benefits for mom. Several small but promising studies have shown prenatal massage also:
- Improves labor outcomes and improves the health of the newborn.
- This may be from a reduction in the stress hormone cortisol which is linked to premature births.
- Dr. Wirth of Tufts University, believes that maternal stress on the fetus changes the brain of the unborn child leading to aggression and emotionally underdeveloped children.
- Massage has been shown to reduce stress and is a great addition to prenatal care.
“Everything you think, feel and do while pregnant has a profound impact on your child both before and after birth. You are a brain shaper, a life shaper. Your role a as a loving, powerful parents begins long before your baby’s first cry or smile.”
-Frederick Wirth M.D, Neonatologist, Professor of Neonatology at Tufts University School of Medicine
- Field, T. (1999). Pregnant Women Benefit From Massage Therapy. Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mar;20(1):31-8.
- Field, T. (2004). Massage Therapy Effects on Depressed Pregnant Women. Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Jun;25(2):115-22.
- Howell, Julie, NMT, PMT, Prenatal Health Through Massage Therapy: For Women and Their Babies.